Notre-Dame de Bonsecours Basilica
Rue Royale 1
7603 BON-SECOURS (PERUWELZ)
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Bon-Secours basilica is situated at the French-Belgian border and was built as a result of the 16th century fancy for pilgrimages.
Once called Notre-Dame-du-chêne-entre-deux-bois, it stands where once stood an oak tree that was a landmark during the Middle-Ages for pilgrims travelling between Péruwelz, Condé and Blaton. A branch of this tree was used to sculpt the statue of the Black Virgin.
Everything in the interior of the basilica evokes this origin and even the gothic vaults imitate the high summits and recreate the shadowy light from the wood which sheltered the statue of the Virgin.
The octagonal monument, surrounded by a corolla of chapels, replaced a small chapel in 1885 and was upgraded to "basilica" in 1910.
Join some of the main events at the BasilicaOn the first Sunday of the month of July, the parish of Bonsecours organises a traditional procession to celebrate the Virgin.
On the first Saturday of October come and join the festival of the Rosary. During this festival, a procession with flames takes the pilgrims to the basilica.
- tel. : +32 (0) 69 77 22 42
- email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tourist information on the town PERUWELZ
Visit our partners' webpages
- Guided Tours of the Tourist Office of the Charleroi Region
- Pairi Daiza - the best zoo in Belgium 2014
- Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation Archive Centre
- The Bois du Cazier Glass Museum
- The Beloeil Castle and its Park - The Belgian Versailles